Sunday, March 2, 2008

A day of rest?

So, no work on the business this Sunday. But, please don't think I've been sitting around on my duff all day. (So, what exactly is a duff, anyway? Or rather, how did it come to be called "duff"?) I made a fabulous, if I do say so myself, breakfast this morning. French toast a la Merry. I'll give you the rundown. No exact measurements, sorry:
~~~~~~~~~~~~
Preheat oven on a very low setting - I used 175F.

Melt a table spoon or so of butter and add some olive oil in a skillet.
Shred some deli-thin turkey cold cuts into the pan and let fry while mixing egg batter.

In a shallow pan or dish (I used a pyrex pie plate) crack three eggs (for two people).
Add about two or three tablespoons of milk.
Sprinkle in a couple of pinches of grated parmesan. Not the powdery stuff, the kind that looks like you grated it with the little holes on a box grater.
Add a bit of pepper.
Scramble it all together.

Remove the turkey from the pan and hold it in a bowl for future use.

Dip sour dough bread slices into the egg mixture, turning to coat both sides. Slap those babies in the skillet and fry until golden brown. When you turn them over, place a bit of shredded turkey on them.

When they are done cooking, place them on an oven safe plate and sprinkle with feta cheese. Pop them in the oven for just a bit, to warm the feta.

Serve with mint tea. Yummy!
~~~~~~~~~~
After that I cleaned out the storage unit on the back porch, organizing as I went. Then I made chicken soup from scratch. I even made the broth from some chicken pieces hanging out in the bottom of the fridge. I have to admit, it wasn't my best soup ever, but maybe it will taste better for lunch tomorrow. Time for the flavors to mingle, that sort of thing.

So, ya, no business taken care of. But, I've got my camping gear organized and I've got lunch for tomorrow already made. Whew.

No comments: