Friday, March 28, 2008

Free advertising, again!

I've been a busy girl today, let me tell ya. Not only have I drove my car into the body shop for an estimate (someone tapped my bumper and chipped the paint) but I have set up an e-mail newsletter and done a spot of free advertising.

I looked into what it would take to set up a mailing list through my yahoo service, but they don't offer a free one, just a paid service. I'm sure it's lovely, but to get things started I thought I'd try a free one. So, I trotted on over to my favorite "free web stuff" site, bravenet. I've been using them on and off on personal sites for years, and have never had anything to complain about. And what do I find? Lo and behold, they have a free mailing list! (did I spell "lo" right?) Anyway, ya, so they have an ad-supported e-mail newsletter service. You just copy and paste a little html into you site and viola, you've got something that looks remarkable like the box on the left hand column of this blog.

So, my site design tool was a very restrictive template-based service. But, yahoo also offers Site Builder, a point and click type thingy that allows you to insert your own html. Well, it took me a few hours, but I got the website transferred over, with a brand spankin' new look. (It's really pretty, a sunset theme.) I plopped the mailing list joinup in the contact page. Hopefully, I'll get some subscribers. (fingers crossed)

I also ran an ad on craigslist. So far, free advertising hasn't sent any clients my way, but who knows? Maybe craigslist will be the lucky one. I'm still waiting to have the metro mom ad approved. I had to fax in a signed consent form for that one, so I'm assuming that it may take a little time. That's ok, I can be patient. I think. (Maybe I should break out the knitting.)

Oh, if you want to see the craigslist ad, it will be there through May 2nd (I think.) The link is: http://dallas.craigslist.org/ths/622177261.html

No comments: